[WSBAPT] Beneficiary Eviction?

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Mon Feb 7 21:51:18 PST 2022

Hi Amy,

The creditor claims, attorney fees,   claim from DSHS all have to be paid prior to closing.  I recommend a short term loan from a private lender.  Get a petition and order from the probate giving authorization to borrow and laying out the big picture.  Notice to the boyfriend legatee.  When you distribute to him upon the closing of the administration, he will be left holding the bag on the loan.

As for your client, I sense that she is distressed that she resides next door to a bad neighbor.  Not a probate problem. Many municipalities have local law that let’s an inspector view the premises when a complaint is made, can declare the property a nuisance and start the process to abate the nuisance.  Some (Seattle) can send in contractors to remedy an unsafe house and impose a lien for the value of their services. Your client may then have a shot at purchasing the lien and foreclosing it.   Any such plan should be remote form the closing of the probate because the PR would be acting in her own self interest at this point  which would seem to be a conflict of interest and a breach of duty. That’s why she cannot purchase the DOT from a private lender.

  -Bruce Moen