[WSBAPT] Boeing 401K/Total Rewards and Trusts/Estates

Jacob Menashe jacob at hickmanmenashe.com
Sun Feb 6 11:49:36 PST 2022

In the past, I believe previously Boeing’s VIP/401K required a one-time lump sum distribution when an estate or trust was named as beneficiary—even if this was not required by the IRS. I understand Boeing made a switch with their 401K. I looked at a January 2022 “Plan Summary” for what is now called “Total Rewards,” and all it says about trusts and estates is “in general” the five year rule will apply. I have not gone beyond reviewing the Plan Summary and I can and will but I figured, as this is an issue of interest to many readers of this list serve—who doesn’t have an occasional client with a Boeing 401K—I’d first throw out this topic to see if anyone has firmed up whether there is anything special with Boeing’s current plan when a trust or estate is involved, i.e., other than what is required/allowed under the Secure Act. Comments?

Thanks,

Jacob

Jacob H. Menashe
Hickman Menashe, PS
4211 Alderwood Mall Blvd., Suite 204
Lynnwood, WA 98036
(425) 744-5658 phone
(425) 744-6078 fax
Satellite Office in Bellevue
www.hickmanmenashe.com

CONFIDENTIALITY: The contents of this message and any attachment(s) may contain confidential or privileged information. Any disclosure, copying, distribution, or unauthorized use of the contents of this message is prohibited and doing so may destroy the confidential nature of the communication.  If you have received this message by mistake, please do not review, disclose, copy, or distribute the e-mail.  Instead, please notify us immediately by replying to this message or telephoning us at (425) 744-5658.