[WSBAPT] Two estate accounts?

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Wed Feb 2 11:03:47 PST 2022

Brian,

For what it is worth, I don't always open an estate account - if there will not be any funds to be paid into an estate account, I don't apply for an EIN to open the account.

Your facts don't mention it but I am guessing father either had a Will or died intestate and everything was community so mom would take. If that is the case, I would probably look to see how financial accounts are currently held (is dad's name still on anything) before deciding which route to take.  Certainly, I can't think of any harm in opening two but extra work may be unnecessary.

Best to you,

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden