[WSBAPT] POLST Question

Melody Tucker Law melodytuckerlaw at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 29 17:30:32 PST 2022

Good evening. I'm looking for some guidance from any of you who can help with my question.

I have a client who has just entered Hospice care. I've been working with her to execute a POLST, but up to now she has not wanted to do so. Tonight her husband called and told me she is ready to execute the document.

Apparently, Hospice workers are coming to their home tomorrow to help set up the necessities for her care. They have told the husband that they can sign the POLST in place of a physician.

It has always been my understanding that a physician, physician assistant, or nurse practitioner could sign along with the patient to make it a valid document.  Do any of you know of an exception to this whereby a Hospice representative who does not fall under those three categories can sign the POLST with the patient so that it is valid?   I want to ensure she has a properly executed document.

I would really appreciate your input. And if there is a statute, could you please direct me to the right place?

Thank you very much.

Melody

Melody Claire Tucker
Attorney at Law
WSBA #42096
Melody Tucker Law
P.O. Box 2029
Lynnwood, WA 98036
206-228-4980      Fax: 425-743-5921
website:  MelodyTuckerLaw.com

CONFIDENTIALITY: The information contained in this transmission may contain privileged and confidential information. It is intended only for the use of the person(s) named above. If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, dissemination, distribution or duplication of this communication, and the information contained in it, is strictly prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender and immediately destroy all copies of the original message.