[WSBAPT] Lender won't honor POA RE Fannie Mae

Roger Hawkes roger at skyvalleylawyers.com
Thu Dec 29 14:10:20 PST 2022

Well said josh😊

From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> On Behalf Of Kaitlyn Jackson
Sent: Thursday, December 29, 2022 1:55 PM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Lender won't honor POA RE Fannie Mae

Thanks so much, Joshua!
Sent from my iPhone

On Dec 29, 2022, at 11:46 AM, Joshua McKarcher <josh at mckarcherlaw.com<mailto:josh at mckarcherlaw.com>> wrote:

I see Fannie Mae in your subject line. Possibly the only two words that matter in the entire message; we don’t know yet.

First, literal advice. Second, strategic advice, if I may be so bold as to call it that . . . 🤷🏻‍♂️

If the loan is a Fannie Mae loan; and if FM requires either (1) the borrower’s own ink signature OR (2) a POA signed/notarized by borrower that specifically references the address of the encumbered property, then you may be out of luck, because federal law or rules may supersede any Washington POA statute that requires third parties to “accept valid POAs or else.” So, if I encountered this issue, I would first focus on the FM issue. (This is all assuming Principal cannot simply sign a new, lender-compliant POA to empower Agent.)

From there, I would be like water flooding a home: take the path of least resistance. If borrower can do a RON session (with one of lender’s and title company’s approved RON providers) from wherever on earth borrower is, that “should” work either (a) to do the entire closing OR (b) to sign the proper POA that then allows POA agent to do the closing.

If it's "do or die" and you know there is a pathway, then keep pressing kindly and offering statutory support in the form of thoughts and questions -- not yelling and finger wagging. The former engenders conversation and is solution oriented. The latter just makes people hate lawyers even more.

I personally prefer, "Would RCW 1234 permit you to allow a [RON signing or POA agent signing] and prevent a third party from collecting damages for your reliance, etc.?" vs. "You have no basis to refuse my request. Pursuant to RCW you must [whatever]."

But what if their "basis" is federal law or some other rule or law that you aren't thinking of? Then you have lost a lot of ground you needn't have. Or just that they're a new underwriter and this is "company policy." Now you're their (not) favorite lawyer and maybe "not listening" from here forward.

In my experience, both lending and title underwriters will always FIRST tell their listener that something is required because underwriter knows that listener will nearly always accept it and make it happen accordingly — believing there is no other option. (I consider this akin to the at-fault party’s insurer in a car accident making an offer for damages and the injured party saying — as the system relies upon most saying — “Okay, well if that’s what it is, I guess I better take it.”)

I can sympathize to a degree: their job is to crank through files and resolve them, not to make Lawyer Joshua McKarcher And His Client happy. But little do they know that if I’m nice enough and persuasive enough and, of course, reasonable enough, that is precisely what they will do. (Hee hee. Don’t tell them.)

So, honestly, if I know there is a LEGALLY PERMISSIBLE pathway to give them cover and give me what I want — even when it’s not standard operating procedure or even if they’ve never before done it — I have NEVER had an underwriter NOT relent.

Rather, I have only had to back off when I realize I am wrong or am missing a link in the chain of “them covering their bases,” which I cannot reasonably ask them not to cover.

And remember, I have spoken to none of these underwriters. Their listener is always an intermediary like a loan officer or a title officer — who probably knows me, trusts me, or has incentive to (see above) "make Lawyer Joshua McKarcher And His Client happy," so long as it's not improper, illegal, etc.

So, I'm hoping that is both literal advice (RON is awesome when done correctly and smartly); and then just strategic advice in case my literal advice is useless. (If both are useless, well, it cost you nothing.)

But: Fannie Mae! That is where this little puzzle starts, my friend. Have fun!

Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher

McKarcher Law PLLC

537 6th Street