[WSBAPT] Children "lose" last amendment to parent's trust

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Wed Dec 7 17:34:42 PST 2022

I have no idea what the basis would be for NOT enforcing the amendment simply because the version you're holding is a photocopy.

A contract is not revoked by tearing it up or shredding it. Unless, I suppose, the agreement provides for it.

A trust agreement is not a will and is not revoked by burning or defacing it. It's revoked in the manner required by the agreement, which is usually by a writing revoking it.

One thing I personally love about trusts is that even obnoxious financial institutions accept faxes, PDFs, excerpts, and never ask for "the original."

Shift your thinking to "trust as agreement" vs. "trust as will substitute," and I suspect the analysis will simplify immediately.

If the kids think otherwise, they can provide a legal basis. Best, Josh