[WSBAPT] Fwd: Relative's obligation to dispose of remains

Boaz Weintraub bw at weintraub-law.com
Wed Dec 7 16:02:02 PST 2022

Thank you Jennifer, et al.

She (and her brother) were adamant they would refuse to manage disposition
due to extreme abuse and abandonment.  A phone call from the examiner’s
office attempting to guilt her as surviving daughter, and alluding to
taxpayers footing the bill, was not helpful.

I do think I found the answer. In reference to RCW 68.50.160,  and vesting
of right to control disposition, Braun v. Selig defined “vest” as a
*discretionary* right to make a decision respecting a particular right. By
implication, the vested right to dispose may be refused.

In a follow up phone call with the medical examiner’s representative, the
rep confirmed my client could refuse to exercise that right.

Bo Weintraub