[WSBAPT] Traffic ticket in Italy 3 years ago.

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Tue Aug 9 22:40:52 PDT 2022

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

August 9, 2022

I rented a car in Italy in about 2015.  A couple months after I got
back, I got a ticket in the mail for driving in the non-driving zone
in Rome. I think I was charged about $140.00, I forget. I think I
recall the bill was sent to me by the rental company. Same as if you
rent a car in the U.S. and get a camera citation or parking ticket-
they usually charge an astronomical administrative fee to forward the
ticket and collect the money which they must actually pay.

I assumed I had actually committed the infraction. We got a little
lost a couple times – it’s super hard to find street signs in Rome- I
didn’t have a GPS. I didn’t think Italians had to pay the amount I was
billed. I figured the rental company was just gouging me.

Although I felt like writing and protesting, in the end, it decided it
wasn’t worth my time and I paid the fine. I loved Italy, hoped to
return some day, and I didn’t want to be denied a Visa or something in
the future due to non payment of a ticket.

Last December, I went to California and had to go over the Carquinez
and Bay bridges a couple times. You can no longer pay with money, you
must have a fastrak pass.  A couple months after getting home, I got a
whopping bill from the rental company.  I wrote to them and complained
that I was on vacation and didn't know about the fastrak thing.
Apparently, there is fine print in their rental agreement. You either
buy their plan in advance (along with their car insurances, etc. which
I always decline), or you pay a big fee on the back end. No one told
me about that when I was picking up the car- as a matter of fact, I
was surprised the agent didn't argue with me when I declined their
insurance coverage. The rental company wrote back and reduced my fine
by at least half- I forget exactly what I ended up paying.  So, it
does happen that you can get a legitimate bill for fines, citations,
etc upon your return home from whereever.

 In your client’s case, $650 is starting to be alot. Plus a collection
case can go on their credit report.  In collection cases, you are
entitled to ask the collection company for all underlying evidence.
So, they should provide a record of the original citation, the
correspondence sending out the citation and all other evidence of how
they came up with the $650.00.

Your client can try to negotiate the sum down if they are given
evidence they actually committed the underlying offense.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101