[WSBAPT] Off-Topic Unusual Family Law Case

John Sullivan jsullivan at DLJSLAW.COM
Tue Aug 9 14:38:34 PDT 2022

Thanks to all who replied!

Best regards,
John J. Sullivan
Attorney

Lyons | Sullivan
10655 NE 4th Street, Suite 704
Bellevue, WA  98004
425*451*2400 tel 425-451-7385 fax
www.dljslaw.com<http://www.dljslaw.com/>

Confidentiality Notice
This email transmission is intended only for the addressee named above.  It contains information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from use and disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, or dissemination of this transmission or the taking of any action in reliance on its contents or other use is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy the original and notify us by telephone immediately.  Thank you for your cooperation

From: John Sullivan
Sent: Friday, August 5, 2022 4:22 PM
To: wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com
Subject: Off-Topic Unusual Family Law Case

Listmates:

I have a request from a client for a referral to a family/divorce attorney to assist my client's friends. I'm guessing it's an unusual case, but what do I know about divorce law.

Couple 1 started a dissolution proceeding in King County in 1992 pro se. That case was dismissed without entry of a decree because they didn't show up for a few status hearings and that sort of thing. (I have obtained a copy of the Order of Dismissal.) They did not know what they were doing. However, Couple 1 apparently believed their marriage was dissolved because they went their separate ways. W1 lives out of state now. H lives in King County.

Many years later H married W2 here in WA. They are still married (assuming this second marriage is even valid). W2 and W1 are in communication and apparently friendly enough that W1 has indicated willingness to cooperate to clean up the mess Couple 1 created.

So now Couple 2 are preparing to apply for Medicare and Social Security. Apparently, the need for legal advice and representation arose when they got to a question they have to answer under penalty of perjury on one of the applications as to when the marriage of Couple 1 ended in divorce. Oops.

Couple 2 need counsel and representation to obtain a decree dissolving the marriage of Couple 1, if possible and, if possible, nunc pro tunc.

My question is: Who would you send them to here in King County?

Thanks. Have a good weekend.