[WSBAPT] Pre-1973 House Purchase Not Community Property?

Marie mwaal at aol.com
Mon Apr 25 10:55:17 PDT 2022

Listmates,
I've been advised by a title company that because my widower client and his deceased wife bought their house before 1973, the only way to clear title to him is either for all of their children to sign quit-claim deeds or to probate her very recent will giving all of her interest to her husband because the children have a 1/2 interest in it. They will not accept an affidavit of non-probate as an alternative for the sole reason that the property was purchased before the community property statute was passed. Does that sound right?
Thank you,

Marie White
Attorney at Law
415 SW 152nd Street
Burien, WA 98166-2208
206-246-1791 Phone
206-246-2080 Fax

Note – COVID-19 Office Policy As we face the quickly changing circumstances presented by COVID-19, I want to update you as to the steps that Xenia and I are taking.  Our top priority is everyone's health and safety including you, our colleagues and our family and friends throughout our communities. To slow the spread of the COVID-19 virus while still serving our clients, we are working both remotely and at the office.  We are scheduling in-office appointments with consideration of the required social distancing of six feet and we require all visitors to wear masks. We are not accepting walk-in clients without scheduled appointments.
Many of the local courts have postponed trials and hearings, or are moving them to telephonic or Zoom proceedings only. We are keeping up to date on those court closures and changes, and will advise each client accordingly. We will continue to monitor the situation and recommendations from the CDC and state and local health departments and will respond accordingly. Be assured that we will continue to advise and support our clients throughout this health emergency.
Using an employer provided or employer owned computer or other device to communicate with our office may result in the waiver of the attorney-client privilege for those communications. We do not use encrypted email so this message is not secure and may not be protected by attorney client privilege. This email address is NOT monitored 24/7. Please call during business hours so we can discuss it with you and also discuss timing. The information in this e-mail message is intended only for the use of the recipient named above (or the employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient). If you received this in error, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this message in error, please notify us by telephone immediately at (206) 246-1791, and delete the original message. Thank you.