[WSBAPT] Is it worth it? Off-topic poll on the appearance of things - color letterhead

Carmen Rowe carmen at gryphonlawgroup.com
Thu Apr 21 09:10:32 PDT 2022

Brent -

I just went through another version of this decision, and here is what I
came up with. I changed my addresses, so needed new letterhead. My
letterhead is a full-bleed across the top header (full color to the edge of
the page, more expensive) with 2 colors.

I ordered 100 pages of letter head on quality paper, and may never even use
all of that - but I have it. The key is that I asked for digital copy so
that I could create something where I could write directly into my
letterhead and thus have color versions for anything I write & send solely
electronically (which is about 90%+) without having to print/sign/scan and
just have another piece of paper to shred. They changed my address from the
design I'd submitted with my original letterhead, I got the 100 pages, and
they sent a .jpg versions of the header and footer so I was able to copy
those into my header/footer in a Word document and there you go, looks just
like a scanned version of the physical copy (only better as it's not
crooked - my scanner just does not always cooperate). Then I save as a .pdf
at the end (which you'd want to do anyway) and use my .pdf program to sign.
So the letter never sees paper at this end.

It was $117.00 for all of the above, so I think well worth it for a nice
presentation - plus the time saved not having to print/scan in/save the
final product.

I do think impression is more than ego, it's the reality of how people
process things - though agree that a lot of traditional "presentation" is
over the top and worth re-thinking, and not even always good. But I also
think people are used to high quality visuals in today's society as there
are so many programs with good design/color/presentation that "everyone"
has something (even free websites can be quite impressive), and having
color adds to a subconscious impression - or rather, a black and white
could lead to a subconscious impression of being a bit old-fashioned/behind
the times/odd/cheap/lower level. It probably depends on your "audience" but
I think you can do this cheaply enough that it's well worth it.

For letter envelopes, because they were ridiculously expensive and having
just tossed nearly a full box of them (as on the rare occasion I send
something out physically, I tend to need/use the 9x12 manilla envelopes, so
still had most from when I started 2015), I opted to get a quality stamp
with the firm name/address and use nice envelopes (then of course I can use
the stamp on other things and off-beat envelopes, too). Of all things where
impression is least likely to impact anything, I figured that was a far
better trade-off.

I do have a good color printer as sometimes I have use for using color, and
it also scans. It's a few years old now so I am sure there are newer
models, and it's not cheap, but a bit less than the one you're looking at -
hp color laserjet pro mfp m477fnw. It's the one my IT guy recommended, and
the only one he puts in at the large business he services as he found it
the most reliable (they are heavy printers at that company). But ink is
expensive, so you still don't necessarily want to be printing color all of
the time!

Carmen Rowe, Attorney/Owner

Phone: (360) 669-3576 (direct cell)
Email:  Carmen at GryphonLawGroup.com

*Olympia/Lacey and primary mailing office:*
1415 College Street SE, Lacey, WA 98503

*Seattle office:* 2611 NE 113th St. Suite 300, Seattle, WA 98125

*NOTICE REGARDING OPERATIONS AND COVID-19:* We see our community as working
together to address COVID and its impact on our lives, health, and
business. The nature of our practice lends itself well to virtual operation
and we offer a range of flexible solutions to best work with your needs and
preferences. For issues requiring physical presence we will work with you
on applicable guidelines. We are here to support you.

*Privileged and confidential: *This message is confidential. If you receive
this message in error, please let us know, and please delete and disregard
any information it contains. We thank you for your respect in not sharing
this email with anyone.

If we are communicating with you regarding a debt or monies owed, THIS MAY
BE AN ATTEMPT TO COLLECT A DEBT, AND ANY INFORMATION WILL BE USED FOR THAT
PURPOSE. You have the right to seek legal advice from an attorney. To the
extent that the Federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act applies, this
firm is acting as a debt collector for the firm's client named above. Any
information obtained will be used for collection purposes.

*********