[WSBAPT] Slayer statute application to inheritance from third party?

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Wed Apr 20 15:48:15 PDT 2022

I agree with Karen, which usually is a good thing, but an unfortunate result in this case. The statute is pretty direct in stating that the “decedent” means the person who was slain or financially abused by the slayer/abuser. If the decedent wasn’t directly the wronged party, the statutes do not appear to apply.

RCW 11.84.010<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.84.010>
Definitions.
As used in this chapter:
(1) "Abuser" means any person who participates, either as a principal or an accessory before the fact, in the willful and unlawful financial exploitation of a vulnerable adult.
(2) "Decedent" means:
(a) Any person whose life is taken by a slayer; or
(b) Any deceased person who, at any time during life in which he or she was a vulnerable adult, was the victim of financial exploitation by an abuser.
(3) "Financial exploitation" has the same meaning as provided in RCW 74.34.020<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=74.34.020>, as enacted or hereafter amended.
(4) "Property" includes any real and personal property and any right or interest therein.
(5) "Slayer" means any person who participates, either as a principal or an accessory before the fact, in the willful and unlawful killing of any other person as determined under RCW 11.84.140<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.84.140>.
(6) "Vulnerable adult" has the same meaning as provided in RCW 74.34.020<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=74.34.020>.

That said, I think there might be a long-shot chance of getting a court to agree that RCW 11.84.030 can be read to include any later inheritance from other relatives that, if the slain parent were still alive, would have been inherited by them and not by the slayer.

RCW 11.84.030<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=11.84.030>
Slayer or abuser deemed to predecease decedent.
The slayer or abuser shall be deemed to have predeceased the decedent as to property which would have passed from the decedent or his or her estate to the slayer or abuser under the statutes of descent and distribution or have been acquired by statutory right as surviving spouse or surviving domestic partner or under any agreement made with the decedent under the provisions of RCW 26.16.120<http://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=26.16.120> as it now exists or is hereafter amended.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.