[WSBAPT] Procedure following Death of PR

Inge Fordham inge at fordhamlegal.com
Tue Sep 28 15:08:39 PDT 2021

Colleagues,

I just learned that my client, the PR of her mother’s estate, passed away this morning.  The successor PR wants to retain my office and finish out the probate.  This is a first for me.  Here are my questions:

  1.  Do I need to obtain and submit a death certificate for the deceased PR and submit that with the petition to have the successor PR appointed?  Or is it sufficient to submit a declaration stating that I was notified of the death of the PR and confirmed the same?
  2.  I believe I need to re-send notices of appointment with information for the successor PR.  Do I also need to notify DSHS of the change in PR?
  3.  We published the Notice to Creditors some time ago.  The period of time for creditors to make claims expires in a couple of weeks.  Do I need to republish with the information for the successor PR?  I don’t want to extend the period of time for creditor’s claims.
  4.  My office typically handles sending notices to all reasonably ascertainable creditors.  However, in this case, the deceased PR took it upon herself to send the notices.  Now that she has passed, do I need to send notices to the same creditors with the information for the new PR?  Again, I don’t want to extend the period of time for creditor’s claims.

Your insight would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

[uc%3fexport=download&id=1W3rEcChy0_E0cCfV5up02mkhwnL6eWIs&revid=0B4P5JoIHdbFaR29EbHlRWHFseFV5STZpSUVGeUNPWldkVDFVPQ]
Inge A. Fordham | Attorney
Fordham Law, PLLC
3218 Sixth Avenue | Tacoma, WA 98406
Office: (253) 348-2657 | Mobile: (206) 778-3131
www.fordhamlegal.com<http://www.fordhamlegal.com>

Confidential Communication: This email is sent to a recipient on behalf of an attorney/law firm, and is information intended exclusively for the individual, entity or company to which it is sent.  This communication may contain proprietary, privileged or confidential information or may otherwise be legally exempt from disclosure other than to the intended recipient.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or otherwise disseminate this message or any part of it.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or other communication and delete all copies of the message.