[WSBAPT] Power of attorney revocation - Alaska

Setareh Mahmoodi mahmoodi.setareh at gmail.com
Thu Sep 23 12:45:20 PDT 2021

Was the POA recorded in AK since you mentioned the LPOA was to conduct real
estate transactions. Given the fact pattern, I would check that and if so I
would draft a simple revocation, record it and give notice to the relative
of the revocation as well (certified mail/ personal service etc). Just to
be sure all parties are properly notified. I would also check the statute
and the POA for any specific  revocation requirements. Hope this helps!

Setareh

On Wed, Sep 22, 2021 at 4:45 PM Adrienne Keith Wills <
ak at keithlawandmediation.com> wrote:

> Hi Diane:  Your response makes perfect sense based on the facts I sent 😊
>

> More specifically, the potential client said:  “2013 I gave my relative
> limited power of attorney for conducting real estate transactions on my
> behalf, as she managed one of my properties in Alaska, after I moved to
> Washington. I’ve since sold the property. However, I’m unsure if the power
> of attorney given to my relative is still valid and for how long it would
> be, as there was no expiration date on the document. I no longer have a
> copy of the file as it was purged with old tax records. I do have a copy of
> the form I filled out for the document.”
>

> Without seeing the original Alaskan POA, it seems prudent to make a
> revocation of all powers given to this relative.
>

> Thank you, Adrienne
>

> --
>
> Adrienne Keith Wills, Attorney/Mediator
>
> Wills Law Firm Inc. | www.WillsLawFirm.com
>
> *Helping family law and estate planning clients create their legacy *
>

> 1700 Seventh Ave, Suite 2100 | Seattle, WA  98101
>
> Tel. (206) 523-3047 | Fax (206) 219-6714

*Best regards, *

*Setareh Mahmoodi *

*Attorney at Law *

*18222 104th Ave NE, Suite 103*

*Bothell, WA 98011*

*Phone: 425-806-1500*

*Fax: 425-489-4142 (Please email documents if at all possible)*

*Email: SM at LawOfficesofSM.com*

*Website: **http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/ <http://www.lawofficesofsm.com/>*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE:* This email message and any attachments is a
transmission from the law firm and is intended for the recipient only.  It
may contain information that is confidential and legally protected by the
attorney-client, work product and/or other privileges.  If you are not the
designated or intended recipient, please destroy the message without
disclosing any of its contents and notify us immediately by reply email or
by calling (425) 806-1500.

Pursuant to U.S. Treasury Department Regulations, we are now required to
advise you that, unless otherwise expressly indicated, any federal tax
advice contained in this communication, including attachments and
enclosures, is not intended or written to be used, and may not be used, for
the purpose of (i) avoiding tax-related penalties under the Internal
Revenue Code or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party
any tax-related matters addressed herein.