[WSBAPT] when you don't get paid

Stephen Brandli steve at brandlilaw.com
Tue Sep 21 09:46:56 PDT 2021

Practicing in a small, rural county, we are constantly making choices about advance fee deposits and collections.  These choices are hard.  I too want people to be able to afford representation, but of course I run a business.  Over time, we have developed policies to make it easier for us to make these choices.  However, our policies are still not tight enough, and we still constantly make individualized choices.  In my career, I have sued for nonpayment only twice: one particularly egregious case and in one case where the client was going to get money paid out of the divorce and I wanted the judgment to attach to the residence.

I can only offer the following:

  1.  The fee agreement should provide for collection costs including attorney fees.  It should also provide for interest on unpaid invoices.  Ours is 12% or the maximum provided by law, whichever is less.  I have never farmed out collection, but I want the option to do so.
  2.  We expressly waive interest in two situations:  (1) Before the end of the case when we expect the client to get money at the end of the case to pay us; (2) After the end of the case when the former client enters into a payment plan with us, in which case the waiver is conditioned on successfully completing the parenting plan.
  3.  If possible, find a staff member who is good at collections.  It requires a certain fortitude, a friendly demeanor, and persistence.  I am lucky that my wife fills that role and is good at it.  But she sometimes works very hard at collections.
  4.  Don’t take cases in which you have a low expectation of being paid unless you are okay with that.  If you are okay with that, I suggest offering a low-bono rate and enforcing it (unless circumstances change that cause you to wish to help out even more).  We have a fairly strict policy on low-bono cases and don’t take cases that do not meet our criteria and for which we are unlikely to be paid.
  5.  Sue only in the egregious cases, i.e. someone is truly stiffing you.
  6.  When you’re doing your business budgeting, expect a certain amount of uncollectible debt.  In our case, this uncollectible debt comes in cases in which circumstances change such that the client cannot pay when we thought they could.  Just part of the cost of doing business and also the cost of meeting our ethical principles.

I hear a lot of advice to avoid suits due to potential bar complaints.  If someone is unsatisfied with your work, you should resolve the issue or cut the client loose quickly.  Those circumstances may suggest writing off whatever is owed.  But I am not afraid to sue in egregious cases even if that is going to attract a bar complaint.

                Steve