[WSBAPT] when you don't get paid

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Tue Sep 21 09:43:34 PDT 2021

I am flexible on this, but virtually always require an advance fee deposit of up to $1500 that will at a minimum cover all costs, and most of my fees to get the probate open and initial required notices handled. From there, if a client isn’t paying, I am inclined to stop work, or make a payment arrangement long before the fees mount to an amount I am not willing to write off. My fee agreement contemplates replenishment of the advance fee deposit.

Occasionally I will allow clients to make that fee deposit once probate assets are freed up (i.e. letters issued). If there is no cash in the estate, that is all the more reason to get money up front. If they don’t care enough to come up with cash for the probate, why should I.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D7AECD.23DBE020]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.