[WSBAPT] "Ascertainable creditor"?

Suzanne Lieberman suzanne at cmslawfirm.com
Mon Sep 6 11:08:27 PDT 2021

Hello,

One more question.

Client is uncertain whether she is required to give notice to a creditor
that has sent a billing statement made out to the decedent's
condominium management company, but not to decedent or to decedent's estate
directly, and which charges she disputes. The bill references decedent's
unit number. The bill is for water mitigation damages that allegedly took
place during our heat wave in June but which client did not authorize
(client paid other water-damage bills related to her uncle's property prior
to the sale of the house, with invoices made out to the estate). Client is
not sure whether the condo association is covering these charges and
doesn't want to volunteer information during the notice period if it's not
required. Of course, she does if it is required.

Is the creditor considered "ascertainable" if Administrator is in receipt
of the bill, regardless of whether the bill is made out to the estate?

Best,

Suzanne Lieberman
CMS Law Firm LLC <http://cmslawfirm.com/>
*811 Kirkland Ave. Suite 201 *(please note new address!)
Kirkland, WA 98033
206-383-6484 (Cell Phone)
206-659-1512 (Main Office)

Legal stuff I have to put in... *To ensure compliance with Treasury
Department and IRS regulations, we inform you that, unless expressly
indicated otherwise, any federal tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written by CMS Law Firm LLC
to be used, and cannot be used by the taxpayer, for the purpose of: (i)
avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal
Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another
party any transaction or matter addressed herein (or any attachments).*