[WSBAPT] DNR question

Suzanne Lieberman suzanne at cmslawfirm.com
Fri Oct 22 11:12:53 PDT 2021

Hello and happy Friday-

I have a client who is in a hurry and not wanting to do an Advance Health
Care Directive and/or POLST for her mother; mother is on board and has
capacity.

Is it possible and appropriate to put the DNR instruction in her health
care Power of Attorney? The mother is only interested in that particular
instruction. I have never seen this put in an MPOA even though the MPOA
authorizes the withholding and/or withdrawal of life-sustaining treatment
generally and replaces/revokes any existing Advance Health Care Directives.
I just wouldn't think specific end-of-life instructions belong in the MPOA
- a document without witnesses - but would like confirmation through the
WAC or otherwise.

Best,

Suzanne Lieberman
CMS Law Firm LLC <http://cmslawfirm.com/>
*811 Kirkland Ave. Suite 201 *(please note new address!)
Kirkland, WA 98033
206-383-6484 (Cell Phone)
206-659-1512 (Main Office)

Legal stuff I have to put in... *To ensure compliance with Treasury
Department and IRS regulations, we inform you that, unless expressly
indicated otherwise, any federal tax advice contained in this communication
(including any attachments) is not intended or written by CMS Law Firm LLC
to be used, and cannot be used by the taxpayer, for the purpose of: (i)
avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal
Revenue Code; or (ii) promoting, marketing, or recommending to another
party any transaction or matter addressed herein (or any attachments).*