[WSBAPT] heirship adjudication petition

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Tue Oct 19 09:29:28 PDT 2021

The estate  can hire an hourly heir searcher to search and report back.

Alternatively, you can ask the court to appoint a G.a.l. to investigate and to report back to the court.

Rather than an adjudication of heirship,  I think better to report the heirship as it appears now and the efforts  made to ascertain the heirship.  Petition the to adjudicate the reasonableness of the efforts of the PR and that those efforts have met the standard of care of a prudent PR.  The petition should be fact-specific and provide a factual basis for the court to understand the background. Then (now or later) ask for authority to distribute in accordance with the heirship report that the court has approved as the result of a reasonable effort.

I recommend that the PR does not ask the court to adjudicate heirship because an unknown surprise heir may show up years later and accuse the PR of negligence.

  Bruce Moen