[WSBAPT] Guns in an estate

Laura Latta laura at lauralatta.com
Mon Oct 18 18:21:17 PDT 2021

Listmates,
I am working on the administration of an estate which includes a number of
guns (pistols and rifles).

Based on my review of RCW 9.41.113(h) - Firearms sales or transfers, it
appears that when the gun is acquired by operation of law on the death of
the owner there is no background check requirement for non-pistols. For
pistols, the transferee has 60 days to notify the DOL that the transferee
intends to retain possession of the pistol.

Here is a link to the text of the law
<https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=9.41.113>

I have the following questions:

1) Does anyone have any resources or experience with guns in estate that
they are willing to share - particularly if there are regs or statutes
which change or color the application of RCW 9.41.113.

2) In particular, I'm wondering if the term "by operation of law" as set
forth in 9.41.113(h) refers to the PR's possession of the guns rather than
the ultimate heir or beneficiary?

3) Can you recommend a federally licensed gun dealer who can appraise and
sell guns on behalf of an estate?

Thank you as always for your considerable time and experience.

Warmly,
Laura

--

*Laura LattaLaw Office of Laura Latta PLLC*

she/her

Phone (206) 841-2344

www.LauraLatta.com

PO Box 82356

Kenmore, WA 98028

*NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential
information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by
replying to this email and immediately delete the message and any
attachments without copying it or disclosing its contents to others.*