[WSBAPT] Using a trust to protect against MTCA liability

Pearce Law PLLC heather at pearcelawservices.com
Tue Oct 12 16:37:14 PDT 2021

I assume the property isn’t registered under PLIA? She might double check,
depending on how long the home has been in her name, in case there is
coverage there. The other option is to go ahead and handle removal or
remediation so that liability doesn’t transfer (if it’s feasible). Do you
know how long the tank has been leaking?

It may be a 20k remediation if it’s not a major leak. Stopping the leak and
limiting damage and increased costs may be important in this scenario.

Good luck!
Heather

On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 4:06 PM <susan at pepetersonlaw.com> wrote:

> HC owns a home with a leaking oil tank.  She recognizes she’s on the hook
> under Washington’s Modet Toxics Control Act, however, she would like to
> shield her (grown) children from liability if/when they either want to live
> in the home or sell it.  She wants to put the house in a trust, but I’m
> unsure if the children as beneficiaries would be “owners” or “potentially
> liable persons” under MTCA.  Has anyone ever dealt with this?
>

> Susan E. Spuller
>
> Attorney at Law
>

> Law Office of Paulette Peterson, PLLC
>
> 710 Ericksen Ave NE, Suite 201
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/710+Ericksen+Ave+NE,+Suite+201+Bainbridge+Island,+WA+98110?entry=gmail&source=g>
>
> Bainbridge Island, WA 98110
> <https://www.google.com/maps/search/710+Ericksen+Ave+NE,+Suite+201+Bainbridge+Island,+WA+98110?entry=gmail&source=g>
>
> 206.855.9293
>
> Fax: 206.678.0105
>

> *We are committed to providing you with ongoing excellent service while
> protecting the health and safety of our clients and staff. Though we are
> open and accepting in-person consultations, we also offer appointments via
> telephone and videoconferencing. If you choose an in-person consultation,
> please know that we are taking all recommended precautions to maintain a
> healthy office environment. Regardless of how events evolve concerning
> COVID-19, we will continue to provide outstanding service in a socially
> responsible manner.*
>

> *The information contained in this email is confidential and may also be
> attorney-client privileged.  The information is intended only for the use
> of the individual or entity to whom it is addressed.  If you are not the
> intended recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering it
> to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use,
> prohibited.  If you have received this email in error, please immediately
> notify me by replying to this email and delete the original.  Thank you.*

> others.***

*Heather Pearce Campbell*
*Pearce Law, PLLC *| c: 206.395.5878
Web: http://www.pearcelawservices.com

CONFIDENTIALITY: This e-mail and its attachments are confidential and may
be protected by attorney/client privilege, work product doctrine, or other
nondisclosure protection. If you are not the intended recipient of this
e-mail, please contact the sender immediately and delete the e-mail from
your computer; you may not read, disclose, print, copy, store or
disseminate the e-mail or any attachments or information contained therein.