[WSBAPT] Yet more LOPA questions..

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Mon Oct 4 11:30:16 PDT 2021

HI Suzanne,

As Heather rightly points out, with a LOPA there can be no deed signed (no person with authority).  Although LOPA is available the process itself does not clear title which is needed for title insurance.  Here is one list that an attorney has on their website.  Although real estate vests in the  heir this is not the same thing as clearing title.  I always recommend a probate be opened to do that so that at some point down the road, maybe even decades, a deal to refinance or sell becomes disrupted because title is not cleared.  Just my two cents and practice.😉

PROS

1. Avoids Probate.
2. Should vest title in Washington State Real Estate to the beneficiary(ies) named in the Decedent’s Will, or the “rightful” legal heir(s) if the Decedent died without a Will.
3. Cost effective and less expensive than an ancillary probate.
4. Exempt from Washington State Real Estate Excise Tax.
5. Title Companies may insure the interest of the beneficiary(ies) or heir(s) when the Affidavit is recorded.
6. The beneficiary gets a full-stepped up basis for U.S. tax purposes, meaning that he or she assumes the fair market value of the real estate at the date of death in the event of a future sale or transfer.

CONS

1. The Affidavit is not a deed or conveyance which is the legally recognized way to transfer title.
2. The Affidavit is not a judicial determination but merely a factual confirmation that the beneficiary(ies) in the Decedent’s Will or the heirs in an Intestacy should be entitled to their interest in the property.
3. The Affidavit may not satisfy the future warranty obligations of a Grantor in subsequent conveyances by Statutory Warranty Deed.
4. When there is a need to file a probate to: (a) access a safe deposit box; (b) deal with creditors and publish Notice of Creditors to impose a shorter time for unknown creditors to respond; (c)  litigate on behalf of the Estate; (d) find heirs whom are not easily identifiable; (e) or for other compelling reasons.
5. Some Washington Counties do not recognize the Affidavit as a way to transfer title, such as, in King County.

The above list is not exhaustive. There are other pros and cons.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.