[WSBAPT] interesting question from a financial planner

Mike Zeno mikez at zenolawfirm.com
Fri Nov 19 15:05:07 PST 2021

That makes a lot of sense, Laura.   RCW 11.125.190 contemplates that the person asked to accept the POA can rely on a certification from the agent that certain things are true—but I’m guessing most companies won’t find that sufficient for POAs over 5 years old…but I don’t know (which is one reason for posting the question  😊)

The Law Office of G. Michael Zeno, Jr., P.S.
T:  (425) 947-8050   F:  (425) 947-8052
135 Lake Street S., Suite 257
Kirkland, WA 98033

Confidential/Privileged Communication: This email and any attachments are confidential, privileged and intended only for the intended recipient(s).  Unauthorized disclosure, copying, distribution or use of this email is prohibited.  If you received this email in error, please notify me immediately so we can arrange for the message and documents to be returned and deleted. Thank you.
IRS Circular 230 Disclaimer: Any tax advice provided in this communication (including attachments) is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used, by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction.  You should seek advice based on your particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.

Knowing that this "five year rule" is out there in the financial world, I usually recommend that my clients pull out their estate plan every five(ish) years and, even if the will is up-to-date, consider re-executing new powers of attorney. Not because the power of attorney is invalid, but because a "fresh" power of attorney is easier to use. I don't expect that most clients will do this, but I think they should know it's an issue.

I was preparing a Will and dpas for a financial planner, who posed an interesting question:  his company’s policy is not to accept powers of attorney that are more than 5 years old.  (I realize the policy may not have a solid legal foundation.)  He asked if that means you have to re-do/re-sign the POA every 5 years?

How do folks deal with this issue?

Mike Z

[...]

Laura Latta
Law Office of Laura Latta PLLC
she/her

Phone (206) 841-2344
www.LauraLatta.com<http://www.LauraLatta.com>

PO Box 82356

Kenmore, WA 98028

NOTICE:  This communication may contain privileged or other confidential information. If you have received it in error, please advise the sender by replying to this email and immediately delete the message and any attachments without copying it or disclosing its contents to others.