[WSBAPT] Bank refusal to accept POA

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Wed Nov 17 10:28:06 PST 2021

I suggest a call to the Branch Manager and ask if anything that you can provide to get the bank to accept.  If the Manager says "No," then ask if the Manager can provide you with a contact person within the Bank's Legal Department.

Understand that the Branch Manager has a Manager's Guide provided from on high.  If the Guide tells the Manger not to accept, then they have no discretion and their hands are tied.  If a gray area, then the Manger kicks the issue upstairs into the Legal Department for further guidance and authorization.

My practice is to ask the Manager if they have any discretion in the matter and, if not, to seek access into the Legal Department.  If I get that far, then I ask what the Legal Department might require for them to authorize the Manager to accept the POA.

I've had 50-50 success with this approach in small Branches.  More complicated in a large Branch because it may not be apparent who has authority.

Good luck!

  Bruce Moen