[WSBAPT] Excluding an individual as guardian in will

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Fri Nov 12 19:43:55 PST 2021

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

                     November 12, 2021

The court must make an appointment that is in the child’s best
interest. A court will consider the wishes of the deceased parent.
However, if one parent is still alive, by operation of law, the
surviving parent becomes the child’s custodial parent. Even if the
surviving parent only had a couple days a month under a parenting plan
order.

If one parent is still living, but some other interested family member
thinks surviving parent is really not in child’s best interest, that
interested party can petition the court for guardianship. The bio
parent has the constitutional right to the care and custody of their
bio child so the evidence has to be pretty heavy against them (like
abuse, neglect, etc.).

Under the new statute, children over the age of 12 can be appointed a
lawyer if they want one, and the court will commonly appoint a
guardian ad litem if the guardianship is disputed (and there is a well
founded basis for the dispute).

Sometimes, a divorced parent will say “no one from OP’s family).  If
your client is nominating someone outside the family (like an aunt,
uncle, grandparent from OP’s family), absent good evidence of what is
wrong with the close family relative, I think the close family
relative will prevail.

In dependency actions, it’s required/ mandatory that the state try to
identify biological family for a permanent placement. So, I believe
the court would take guidance from dependency laws when making a
decision on guardianship matters under title 26.

So, client can nominate whoever they want.  The court will consider
the bio parent’s wishes but the court is obligated to act in the
child’s best interest.  Bio family, bio relatives have a headstart.
In some ways, its a good problem to have that alot of people might be
stepping forward to fight to care for your children.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000
Seattle, Washington 98101
206-224-8288
www.seattle-silvalaw.com

Quoting Suzanne Lieberman <suzanne at cmslawfirm.com>:

> Good morning,
>    Client is concerned that a close relative might try to step
> forward for guardianship over client's children if the entire list
> of proposed guardians in client's will is exhausted. Would a judge
> honor a request for exclusion, and if so, would the guardianship
> paragraph of the will be the only place this exclusion needs to be
> mentioned?
>
>                                                  Sincerely,
>
>           Suzanne Lieberman
>
>          CMS Law Firm LLC[1]
>          811 KIRKLAND AVE. SUITE 201 (please note new address!)
>          Kirkland, WA 98033
>          206-383-6484 (Cell Phone)
>          206-659-1512 (Main Office)
>

>          Legal stuff I have to put in... /To ensure compliance with
> Treasury Department and IRS regulations, we inform you that, unless
> expressly indicated otherwise, any federal tax advice contained in
> this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or
> written by CMS Law Firm LLC to be used, and cannot be used by the
> taxpayer, for the purpose of: (i) avoiding penalties that may be
> imposed on the taxpayer under the Internal Revenue Code; or (ii)
> promoting, marketing, or recommending to another party any
> transaction or matter addressed herein (or any attachments)./

Links:
------
[1] http://cmslawfirm.com/