[WSBAPT] Adding Spouse to Probate

Nicholas Pleasants nick at pleasantslaw.com
Wed Nov 3 16:23:13 PDT 2021

I agree with Heather. This is where you want to develop a relationship with a title insurance company. Most of them will prepare a preliminary commitment for attorneys at no charge, and then you just ask them what is required to vest it into the surviving spouse. Usually a Lack of Probate Affidavit and Death Certificate, copy of the Will, Community Property Agreement if available, or some combination of those documents will get the job done. Once you’ve done that leg work, it is imperative that the realtor understands you already have a title commitment at a particular company and want that to be in the listing so the buyers are aware of that.
That is assuming the PR is intending to list the house for sale. If it is going to stay in the family, then you may or may not want to buy a new title insurance policy. If not, then possibly I would probate the first spouse’s estate as well, so it transfers by PR Deed to second spouse, and then PR for second spouse can transfer by PR Deed to relative. That way if relative eventually goes to sell, there is a really good paper trail and it shouldn’t be an issue. I’ve occasionally ran into problems when only a LOPA was used, and now the grandchild wants to sell grandma’s house, and title company is asking for an Affidavit that grandma’s estate was not subject to estate tax or Medicaid liens, and we have no personal knowledge of that. So I tend to think a second probate or purchase of title insurance is worth it if the house might be staying in the family for a long time.
Best,
Nick

Nicholas Pleasants
Owner

[(Logo) Pleasants Law Firm]<http://www.pleasantslaw.com/>

Pleasants Law Firm, P.S.
2300 130th Ave NE, Suite A-101
Bellevue, WA 98005-1755
(425) 615-7070 tel/fax
nick at pleasantslaw.com<mailto:nick at pleasantslaw.com>
www.pleasantslaw.com<http://www.pleasantslaw.com>
The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged and is confidential information intended only for the use of the recipient, or any employee or agent responsible to deliver it to the intended recipient. Any unauthorized use, distribution or copying of this information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.
If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately and destroy the original message and all attachments from your electronic files.