[WSBAPT] off topic attorney recommendation request

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Tue May 11 23:01:01 PDT 2021

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

Susan,

If the order to pay a sum certain was actually entered as a judgment
against the boyfriend, if he has a job and if he receives a paycheck,
your friend can have a lawyer bring a garnishment action against his
wages.  OR, if your client knows where his bank accounts are, they can
garnish his bank account.

For lawyers that regularly handle garnishments, this is very straightforward.

I do not believe “contempt of court” is the appropriate action when a
debt is outstanding.

In the family law arena, there is long standing, well-settled law that
contempt for failure to pay money is only proper if the payment is
related to support. So, if an EX owes $100K for a property
distribution, contempt isn’t possible.  If you have a judgment against
an Ex, you have to find their assets and garnish or get a writ of
execution.  So, I assume this would be the same in other civil areas
of law.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000