[WSBAPT] Amending Power of Attorney

Jennifer L White jen at appletreelaw.com
Tue Jun 22 10:25:32 PDT 2021

Jeff,
My opinion: As long as the amendment follows the execution requirements of 11.125 you are "legal."
In my DPOA's I have a specific provision that allows for the document to be amended.
As a practical matter, however, I would do a completely new clean document. It seems that it is a constant battle to get financial institutions to accept DPOA's on a good day. There have many strings on this Listserv lamenting the struggle. Adding in an amendment to the equation seems to me to be another hurdle to overcome.
Most of us have templates that we easily work from, so as purely a time factor, it takes me personally less time to do it new than to mess around with old documents. Plus, I inevitably tinker with them as the laws change or I go to CLE's, so I would like my client's to have the latest and greatest if I'm doing it in the first place.

That's my .02 for the day!

Jennifer L. White, Esq.
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D76750.ECF5B810]

jen at appletreelaw.com<mailto:jen at appletreelaw.com>