[WSBAPT] Disputed Creditor Claim

Dalynne Singleton dalynne at glgmail.com
Tue Jun 15 10:51:14 PDT 2021

Heather, it might depend on what the out of state case involves before a substantive answer can be provided.
I have handled several cases in which the PR of the Estate is the necessary person named as plaintiff or defendant in out of state litigation.
Most of these were wrongful death and personal injury cases and there was insurance available to cover the claims.
My experience is more with WA litigation and some out of state PRs.  I always start with contacting a probate attorney in the state of litigation or where the PR is appointed.

First, you need to have someone in the state where the litigation has been commenced who knows probate law to provide you with that state's rules in substituting the PR appointed in WA.
Florida allows the PR appointed in Florida to be named in litigation in WA and accept service of the complaint.
California is also one that a PR in California can be named in WA litigation and accept service on behalf of Estate.

Since the litigation was filed before death and I assume, service was made on the deceased person before death, substituting the PR should be easy by amended complaint but again, the litigation is in another state so that state's laws would apply.
As for the creditor claim, the plaintiff in the out of state litigation can file a creditor claim but if rejected, the suit has already been filed supporting the claim.  Again, you would need to research this issue specifically.  If there is insurance, the rejection would trigger the insurance to cover the claims.

Dalynne Singleton
Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection
1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291
360.568.5065
360.568.8092  fax
dalynne at glgmail.com<mailto:dalynne at glgmail.com>
Website:  www.glglawgroup.com<http://www.glglawgroup.com/>
As we face the challenges presented by COVID-19, we have limited staffing in the office to maintain critical functions. Attorney/client meetings will be handled by teleconference or virtually whenever possible.  Be assured that we will continue to advise & support our clients throughout this health emergency.  If you would like to set a telephone conference, please call or email my paralegal theresa at glgmail.com<mailto:theresa at glgmail.com> or dara at glgmail.com<mailto:dara at glgmail.com>.
LICENSED IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON
IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.