[WSBAPT] Spying on Conversation

Andrekita Silva ak at seattle-silvalaw.com
Thu Jul 29 20:22:48 PDT 2021

  Law Office of
F.ANDREKITA SILVA

                                                  July   29, 2021

Brent,

You say that the Executor doesn’t want you to call the police about
this spying.

How does the executor feel about the recordings? Do they feel violated
or do they feel okay about it, even though not done with their
permission?

Are you concerned for the invasion of YOUR privacy or are you
concerned for the invasion of EXECUTOR’s privacy?  Or for the content
of the attorney client conversation?

How did you secure the access to the cameras to view the recording of
your private conversation?
Was this access to the recording you viewed given by the Executor or
by the person who installed the cameras?
Have you spoken to the person who installed the cameras?  Do you think
their motivation is inappropriate? Do you think the installer
understood it is unlawful in Washington to record a private
conversation without the consent of participants?

The Executor said s/he hadn’t shared the conversation with the
installer.  Would the Executor have shared the conversation with the
installer but they didn’t get around to it because installer wrote to
you first?  Do you think your client/ Executor was being
straightforward with you about what they knew or didn't know?    If
installer had asked Executor to let him/her sit in on the attorney /
client meeting, would Executor have asked you to let the installer
join you?  Would you have said yes, no, maybe for part?

I think your role is certainly to educate.  If Executor would have
shared the conversation anyway, you may need to explain attorney
client privilege to the Executor and let them know that this is for
their protection.  Was there information discussed in that recording
that was really sensitive that you really would not have wanted to
have disclosed to a third party without a lot more discussion with
Executor?

It’s hard, and at times unrealistic, to prevent client’s from sharing
confidential communications. You can speak to the Executor/ family?
and make sure that they understand what is going on- where the cameras
are, what’s being recorded, who has access, etc.  But, if the executor
is not disabled or incompetent, it’s up to the family to decide
whether they want to remove the audio/ video equipment.  The family
should probably know that they have an obligation to tell all guests
that their actions/ conversations in the home are not private.

In terms of the attorney / client relationship, this may mean that you
will have to meet with the Executor somewhere in the home that is not
being recorded, or meet with them somewhere else.

Other than the fact that YOUR privacy was invaded- and you need to
decide what to do about that-  the rest isn’t that different than
other clients that do things that are against their interest.  For
example, you might represent a battered spouse/victim whose aggressor
spouse constantly violates a restraining and/ or DV order but your
battered client refuses to take action. You can say “if you continue
to do XYZ, I’ll have to withdraw”.  But you can't MAKE them take
certain steps.

It is a crime to record a private conversation.  You certainly had an
expectation of privacy.  So, you can decide what you want to do about
that based on the facts and circumstances. If the installer  were a
person with an adverse interest, and they were using this recording to
gain an advantage in litigation, I would urge client to report this to
law enforcement. ( I have had a client report such recordings to law
enforcement upon my advice and I have brought this to the attention of
the court where the no- longer- in- the-home-spouse plants a recording
device, and BOTH law enforcement and judge yawned. I would do this
again, though. )  Unless a client is at imminent risk of harm, for
myself I would stick to educating the client. If someone unlawfully
records something to gain an advantage in litigation, I would bring it
to the attention of the court and have the recording and evidence that
flowed from it stricken.

andrekita
Law Office of F. Andrekita Silva
1325 Fourth Avenue, Suite 2000