[WSBAPT] Lack of Probate Affidavit

Jennifer L White jen at appletreelaw.com
Thu Jul 29 10:30:42 PDT 2021

Hi Amy,
I believe this path will work: Prepare a Deed from deceased to inherited owner; and then follow the instructions on the inheritance exemption WAC 458-61A-202. It lists lack of probate affidavit and the accompanying documents and criteria to meet the ETA exemption. Here is a cut and paste of the guts of it:
(i) Nonprobated will or operation of law. If the property is transferred to one or more heirs by operation of law, or transferred under a will that has not been probated, but absent the documentation described in (a), (b), (e), (f), or (g) of this subsection, a certi[1]fied copy of the death certificate and a signed lack of probate affi[1]davit affirming that the affiant or affiants are the sole and rightful heirs to the property are required. When the property is transferred and the decedent-transferor also inherited the property from his or her spouse or domestic partner, but never transferred title to the property into the decedent-transferor's name, the transferee(s) must provide: (i) A certified copy of the death certificate for the decedent[1]transferor; (ii) A certified copy of the death certificate for the spouse or domestic partner from whom the decedent-transferor inherited the real property; and (iii) A lack of probate affidavit affirming that the affiant or affiants are the rightful heirs to the property.
Good luck!

Jennifer L. White, Esq.
[cid:image001.jpg at 01D78463.6D71C400]

jen at appletreelaw.com<mailto:jen at appletreelaw.com>