[WSBAPT] Inmate Heir - POA

Amy Goertz amyjgoertz at icloud.com
Tue Jan 12 10:33:15 PST 2021

Good morning -

I have a follow-up question to my inquiry the other day in which the potential client’s wife passed away in November, leaving two adult children (client’s stepchildren). One lives locally and the other is in prison.

Wife had no estate planning. She owned two rental properties prior to their relationship. Each property is worth about $200k with a $50k mortgage. One is assessed slightly more than the other (about $10k).

The statute provides that husband is entitled to one-half of these separate properties; the kids would then split the other half.

It seems like the easiest solution would be to reach a TEDRA agreement in which the husband takes one property and the kids split the other property.

The kids have proposed that the son in prison would sign a DPOA to name his sister as Agent/Attorney-in-fact to negotiate and sign paperwork. Is this a viable solution or do we have to have a GAL appointed to represent the incarcerated heir or is there another solution?

I appreciate any input or thought you might have on this novel-to-me situation.

Amy J. Goertz, J.D.
Goertz & Lambrecht PLLC
amyjgoertz at icloud.com <mailto:amyjgoertz at icloud.com>

1.888.926.2607 phone