[WSBAPT] Planning around land in Hawaii?

Adrienne Keith Wills ak at keithlawandmediation.com
Mon Feb 8 11:26:16 PST 2021

Hello Listmates,

I've been contacted by a potential estate planning client who resides in
Washington, and owns real property here in Washington.  He also owns land in
fee simple in Hawaii.

I'm not familiar with settling estates in Hawaii, so I'm curious to get
input from this list as to the relative procedural ease/difficulty of
transferring this land if the client opts for a Will-only approach vs a
revocable trust.  The internet suggests that an ancillary probate may not be
required under these facts, and that Hawaii may have a relatively less
expensive/efficient probate process.  Of course, the internet says lots of
things.

Thanks in advance! Adrienne

--

Adrienne Keith Wills, Attorney | Mediator

Wills Law Firm Inc. (please note the new name for my practice)

Helping family law and estate planning clients create their legacy

1700 Seventh Ave, Suite 2100 | Seattle, WA  98101

www.WillsLawFirm.com | Tel. (206) 523-3047 | Fax (206) 219-6714