[WSBAPT] CPA Recorded with County but No Property Referenced

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Tue Dec 21 15:48:31 PST 2021

Ask the title company if a close family member or PR of the now-deceased spouse’s estate can sign the (apparently never filed) affidavit in support of CP agreement. This is the affidavit that should be recorded later, separately from the CP agreement, after Spouse 1 dies and Spouse 2 has survived and needs to vest title in Spouse 2 alone.

The affidavit references the CP agreement by instrument number (because previously recorded if this is done according to Hoyle); describes the real property subject to the CP agreement in that county; and is recorded by the auditor after submission of a REETA (citing the relevant exemption), death certificate and $10 check to the treasurer. (In my world, the REETA is not recorded. From this listserv it seems some counties record it all. Whatever works, I guess.)

Hope that helps. If you need models and REETA/WAC cites, Mary and I share nicely. 😉

Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street