[WSBAPT] separate property tax basis

Shannon Jones shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com
Mon Dec 20 11:43:51 PST 2021

Spouse has separate property business interest of significant value with a low tax basis. She wants to leave 100% of this asset to surviving spouse on death. The business agreement provides for a buy-out on a member's death to be paid over several years' time. We do not have a concern about WA estate tax. We do want 100% step-up in tax basis for this business interest on death. Will the spouses' execution of a standard CPA providing "any separate property of spouse at the time of her death shall become and be considered community property vested as of the moment of her death in surviving spouse" affect our step-up?

[cid:image001.png at 01D7F596.DA977EE0]
Shannon R. Jones | Attorney
Campbell Barnett PLLC
P: 253.848.3513| F: 253.845.4941
317 South Meridian
Puyallup, WA 98371
shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com<mailto:shannonj at campbellbarnettlaw.com>
campbellbarnettlaw.com<https://campbellbarnettlaw.com/>

This transmission contains confidential attorney-client communications and may not be disclosed to any person but the intended recipient(s).  If this matter is transmitted to you in error, please delete and notify the sender immediately.