[WSBAPT] Probate involving Idaho corp. and real property

Inge Fordham inge at fordhamlegal.com
Fri Dec 10 16:24:09 PST 2021

Colleagues,

I am handling a probate for a joint estate with a sticky family situation involving the sale of real property in Idaho.  My initial thought is that my client (the PR of the joint estate) may need to retain counsel in Idaho, where I am not licensed.  Beyond that, I don’t know where to begin.  Here are the basic facts.  Husband (H) was a shareholder in an Idaho corporation with 6 other family members (each held a 1/7 interest).  I have no information as to the assets of said corporation aside from the fact that it appears the corporation owned real property located in Oneida County, Idaho.  I do not have the address or parcel number for the property.  Based on facts discussed below, it appears that the Idaho corporation may have entered into a real estate contract for the sale of the aforementioned real property.  I do not have the contract and do not know when the contract may have been executed.  H passed away intestate in WA in 2011.  At some stage after H passed, there was a family meeting with W where the family decided that payments should be made to W going forward.  It does not appear that any formal paperwork was drawn up.

Fast forward several years.  In June 2020, the Idaho corporation entered into a promissory note related to the sale of the aforementioned Idaho property (presumably for the balance owed).  The property is not identified in the promissory note.  W passed away in 2021 leaving no record of the Idaho corporation, promissory note, property, etc.  My client (H & W’s daughter, the PR) only learned of the property and the promissory note because she received payments that were being made to her mom, W.  She contacted her cousin, the sole member of the Idaho limited liability company that purchased the property and entered into the promissory note) and he refused to provide any information other than the original promissory note and a schedule of payments that were made following June 2020 (when the promissory note was executed).  The cousin (who also happens to be an attorney) refuses to provide any additional information.  It appears he is content to continue issuing checks to W’s estate until the promissory note is paid in full in 2025 (per the terms of the note).

I don’t know where to begin.  I need to know whether the aforementioned property is titled in the name of the corporation, whether it had other assets, the balance of the note, etc. and the cousin is not cooperating.  Does my client need to retain counsel in Idaho to investigate this further and perhaps pursue a TEDRA-like action in Idaho?  Her siblings have requested an inventory and appraisement and I don’t know how to identify the assets.  Do I list a 1/7 interest in the corporation and a 1/7 interest in the promissory note?  I can’t say whether the corporation owns real property so I can’t list that…. I don’t even have an address or parcel number.

Help!

[uc%3fexport=download&id=1W3rEcChy0_E0cCfV5up02mkhwnL6eWIs&revid=0B4P5JoIHdbFaR29EbHlRWHFseFV5STZpSUVGeUNPWldkVDFVPQ]
Inge A. Fordham | Attorney
Fordham Law, PLLC
3218 Sixth Avenue | Tacoma, WA 98406
Office: (253) 348-2657 | Mobile: (206) 778-3131
www.fordhamlegal.com<http://www.fordhamlegal.com>

Confidential Communication: This email is sent to a recipient on behalf of an attorney/law firm, and is information intended exclusively for the individual, entity or company to which it is sent.  This communication may contain proprietary, privileged or confidential information or may otherwise be legally exempt from disclosure other than to the intended recipient.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or otherwise disseminate this message or any part of it.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or other communication and delete all copies of the message.