[WSBAPT] Intestate Succession

Eric Nelsen eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Thu Apr 29 15:55:35 PDT 2021

I agree with you and the others. The decedent's relatives through his father receive 50%, which means the father's sister (aunt) gets 50%. And decedent's relatives through his mother receive 50%, which means the cousins divide the other 50% by right of representation.

You didn't say so, but it sounds like all the cousins are children of a sibling of decedent's mother. You might doublecheck to make sure there is no first cousin who is deceased and left children of their own. Since it is by right of representation, if a mother's sibling has a deceased child who left issue of their own, those cousins (grandchildren of mother's sibling) would take their parent's share.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis. Please direct mail and deliveries to the Seattle office.