[WSBAPT] Suing a deceased person

Dalynne Singleton dalynne at glgmail.com
Wed Apr 21 08:27:32 PDT 2021

You should look at CR 25.  Snohomish County Superior did not allow a trial to go forward because the plaintiff had died and his PR was
Not substituted in the case.  Be careful.

CR 25
SUBSTITUTION OF PARTIES

    (a)  Death.

    (1)  Procedure. If a party dies and the claim is not thereby extinguished, the court may order substitution
of the proper parties. The motion for substitution may be made by the successors or representatives of the
deceased party or by any party and, together with the notice of hearing, shall be served on the parties as
provided by rule 5 for service of notices, and upon persons not parties in the manner provided by statute
or by rule for the service of a summons. If substitution is not made within the time authorized by law,
the action may be dismissed as to the deceased party.

    (2)  Partial Abatement. In the event of the death of one or more of the plaintiffs or of one or more of the
defendants in an action in which the right sought to be enforced survives only to the surviving plaintiffs
or only against the surviving defendants, the action does not abate. The death shall be suggested upon
the record and the action shall proceed in favor of or against the surviving parties.

    (b)  Incompetency. If a party becomes incompetent, the court upon motion served as provided in section (a) of
this rule may allow the action to be continued by or against the party's representative.

    (c)  Transfer of Interest. In case of any transfer of interest, the action may be continued by or against
the original party unless the court upon motion directs the person to whom the interest is transferred to be
substituted in the action or joined with the original party. Service of the motion shall be made as provided
in section (a) of this rule.

Dalynne Singleton
Gourley Law Group
Snohomish Escrow
The Exchange Connection
1002 10th Street / PO Box 1091
Snohomish, WA 98291
360.568.5065
360.568.8092  fax
dalynne at glgmail.com<mailto:dalynne at glgmail.com>
Website:  www.glglawgroup.com

As we face the challenges presented by COVID-19, we have limited staffing in the office to maintain critical functions. Attorney/client meetings will be handled by teleconference or virtually whenever possible.  Be assured that we will continue to advise & support our clients throughout this health emergency.  If you would like to set a telephone conference, please call or email my paralegal theresa at glgmail.com<mailto:theresa at glgmail.com> or dara at glgmail.com<mailto:dara at glgmail.com>.

Please be advised, we are requiring all clients with scheduled appointments coming in, as well as our staff, to be prepared to wear a face mask or adequate covering during all in office interactions.

LICENSED IN WASHINGTON AND OREGON
IMPORTANT/CONFIDENTIAL: This e-mail message (and any attachments accompanying it) may contain confidential information, including information protected by attorney-client privilege. The information is intended only for the use of the intended recipient(s).  Delivery of this message to anyone other than the intended recipient(s) is not intended to waive any privilege or otherwise detract from the confidentiality of the message.  If you are not the intended recipient, or if this message has been addressed to you in error, do not read, disclose, reproduce, distribute, disseminate or otherwise use this transmission, rather, please promptly notify the sender by reply e-mail, and then destroy all copies of the message and its attachments, if any.