[WSBAPT] Life in general

Bruce Moen brm at moenlaw.com
Mon Apr 5 10:20:30 PDT 2021

Good reply, Phil.  Thumbs up!

  -Bruce Moen

-----Original Message-----
From: wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com <wsbapt-bounces at lists.wsbarppt.com> On Behalf Of Philip N. Jones
Sent: Monday, April 5, 2021 10:06 AM
To: WSBA Probate & Trust Listserv <wsbapt at lists.wsbarppt.com>
Subject: Re: [WSBAPT] Life in general

I am in a firm of about 15 estate planners.  The firm was founded in the 1930s.  In the entire history of the firm, only three attorneys have retired.  All the rest left with their boots on, sometimes feet first.  They either died, had a stroke, or some other medical event that forced them out.  But they were still working.  Admittedly, most were working only a few days a week when the grim reaper (or the grim cardiologist) caught up with them.
Why did they keep working and not retire sooner?  Lots of reasons.  Some did not have hobbies or play golf or play bridge.  Some enjoyed the work.  Some needed the money.  Some had spouses who did not want them hanging around the house.  Unlike trial attorneys, estate planners can easily work part time.  And now with the pandemic, most of us are learning to work at home.
Personally, I now work at home due to the pandemic, and I am one of the people who often posts on weekends and holidays.  I enjoy the work, as I hope my posts reflect.  When I post on a weekend or on a holiday, I am usually lying flat on my back twiddling with my Ipad, often at the beach or in the mountains.  Also, during the week I do not work long days.  In fact, some of my weekdays are very short.  I do whatever I please.  And on weekends and holidays, I do the same.
Life is good.  I do not feel the need to get a different one.  As for others, your mileage may vary.
Phil Jones
Portland, OR

Philip N. Jones
Duffy Kekel LLP