[WSBAPT] Question about listing a testamentary trust as a beneficiary on Schedule A of Verified Petition

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Fri Sep 25 10:21:07 PDT 2020

Hi Michael,

Just a few quick thoughts in response:

  1.  When a Trustee is to receive assets, I do list the Trustee as the beneficiary on Schedule and for relationship I usually add "fiduciary" - probably not needed.  I do not list all the beneficiaries.  I do add the name of the trust.  For example - "Diane J. Kiepe, Trustee of the Jones Marital Trust created under the Last Will and Testament of Decedent" (or wherever it's crated under).
  2.  You should not send notices to the beneficiaries; that is the Trustee's job (who may in fact be the PR but the letter comes from him/her as Trustee).  The PR letter goes to Trustee.
  3.  Remember you have to notify heirs of the opening of probate too so this may well be the beneficiaries under the trust but you are  notifying them as heirs not beneficiaries.
  4.  You  need to just define clearly who you are representing, in what capacity and draft what is proper under your scope of representation.
  5.  You absolutely should not terminate the marital trust without a TEDRA - if there is any one remainder beneficiary (which there usually is hence the purpose of a marital trust) the doctrine of merger is inapplicable  - the Trustee and initial beneficiary can be the same without issue-there is probably a HEMS standard to direct the Trustee for Principal Distribution.  Again do not assume merger applies -

Always  happy to talk shop if you want - feel free to shoot me a direct e-mail if you'd like to set that up.

Best,

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden