[WSBAPT] Any Tricks or Tips to Avoid REET on Subsequent Transfers

Matt Yates matt at yatesmarshall.com
Wed Sep 23 13:51:13 PDT 2020

I have an estate where Mother left estate to son and daughter in equal shares.  They have other reasons that they cannot work out a non-pro rata distribution so have resolved to take Mother's house as tenants in common and then son would like to buy out daughter's interest in Mother's house.  I am relatively certain that no REET exemption will apply to subsequent transfer (458-61A-202(6)) from sister to brother of her interest but wanted to ensure that I have not missed any opportunity.  Thus, I am asking the braintrust.  Any advice is welcome.

Cheers,

Matt

Matthew D. Yates
Attorney at Law