[WSBAPT] PUBLISH IN TWO COUNTIES?

Eric Nelsen Eric at sayrelawoffices.com
Tue Oct 27 16:44:10 PDT 2020

Need only publish in the county of residence, not the county where the probate is filed. You used to have to publish in both, but the statute was amended in 2005 to eliminate the redundancy.

Compare Laws 2005, c 97, Section 4 of http://lawfilesext.leg.wa.gov/biennium/2005-06/Pdf/Bills/Session%20Laws/House/1125.SL.pdf?cite=2005%20c%2097%20%C2%A7%204
amending RCW 11.40.020 to its current reading.

I got really tripped up once by this statute shortly after it was amended-it has clear directions in 1(a) and (b), and if you don't read all the way to down to the bottom, you don't catch the "but if" of Section 2 that tells you to ignore 1(a) and (b) if the probate is filed in a different county from decedent's residence. That's just a terrible way to structure a statute, if I may whine for a moment.

Sincerely,

Eric

Eric C. Nelsen
Sayre Law Offices, PLLC
1417 31st Ave South
Seattle WA 98144-3909
206-625-0092
eric at sayrelawoffices.com<mailto:eric at sayrelawoffices.com>

Covid-19 Update - All attorneys are working remotely during regular business hours and are available via email and by phone; please call the Seattle office. Videoconferencing also is available. Signing of estate planning documents can be completed and will be handled on a case-by-case basis; please call the Seattle office.

MAIL AND DELIVERIES can be received at the Seattle office. For any other needed arrangements, please call the Seattle office.