[WSBAPT] Recording Community Property Agreement

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Tue Oct 13 12:10:41 PDT 2020

Lovie,

If one property is being sold, be prepared to give the CPA to title/escrow at closing. Title will likely require a death certificate they can record as well, and generally has the surviving spouse sign a community property lack of probate affidavit.

If the other property is in the same county, as Mark said, title will pick this up later, when that property is being disposed of (or borrowed against). If it is in a different county, the documents will need to be recorded there as well.

When property is not on the verge of being sold, I record these three items (CPA, LOP Affidavit, Death Certificate) as follows:
First:    CPA with a  coversheet referencing the deceased spouse as grantor, the survivor as grantee, and listing the legal description of the property and tax parcel numbers.
Second: Lack of Probate affidavit with essentially same coversheet information, but also referencing the recording number of the CPA on this coversheet. I attach a redacted copy of the death certificate to this document, redacting SS#, mother's maiden name, and similar sensitive information.

Also, don't forget to file the will (will only for $20) even if there is no probate. I will usually include the case number for the will filing in the LOP affidavit.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D6A159.DDDD2FB0]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

For the latest information regarding firm operations and to see precautions we are taking in light of the Coronavirus crisis please visit our firm's website, www.WestSeattleLaw.com<http://www.WestSeattleLaw.com>.
If I am sick, I will stay home, I ask you to do the same.

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.