[WSBAPT] Recording Community Property Agreement

Mike Winslow mike at winslegal.com
Tue Oct 13 12:05:27 PDT 2020

Typically, I will record a Lack of Probate Affidavit (which has the
Auditor's coversheet built in) and attach the CPA and cert. copy of Death
Cert as exhibits.
This addresses both the change of owner's name with the Treasurer and
addresses matters that title companies will raise at the time sale of
property takes place, often years later. Killing multiple birds with one
stone (document).

Redact the SSN on the Death Cert if your County will allow it (for privacy).
Some Auditors get snippy about redacted Death Certs. Beware.
Sample attached.

In some cases, especially if no CPA, but title was taken as Husband and Wife
(or various iterations thereof), then I also will record the LWT if
available.
So the sample form is a bit of a Swiss Army knife document.

I list the title of the document as simply a Lack of Probate Affidavit and
remove from the heading the reference to the Community Property Agreement,
because some counties will ding you a double recording fee if you mention
additional documents in the title.
The title companies appreciate use of the LOPA.

More Dirt than Dead,
Mike

Michael A. Winslow
1204 Cleveland Ave.
Mount Vernon, WA 98273
Ph. 360-336-3321
Em. Mike at winslegal.com

This message is from an attorney, so it's confidential. If you are not the
intended recipient, it's too late to stop reading this message, but you may
not use it for any improper purpose. Huge Disclaimer available upon request.