[WSBAPT] Contract for will

Diane J. Kiepe DJKiepe at depdslaw.com
Tue Oct 6 17:00:52 PDT 2020

Bryce,

I have done this once in a Will and have taken similar routes through trust planning - the key to success, in my humble opinion, is to have it in the testamentary document - a contract is bound to get lost, you have to restate the consideration differently, and there are probably some other points I am missing this late in the day - the other key to success however is that each side gives their child/children a copy ( sealed if they want) and makes sure the first estate is probated properly.

Another route for consideration is a traditional Will with a force trust for the survivor spouse with the trustee being a child of the decedent and a child of the survivor (not the survivor).  This method is preferred in some ways because once title to things vest in the survivor they can avoid the "no change" agreement by simply gifting property away.  Did you mention this route and they still insist on the contract?  If so, just make sure your closing letter reiterates the concerns 😉

I know you asked for a sample but at the moment I'm not recalling my client's name - happy to speak with you or e-mail directly more on this.

Diane J. Kiepe

Diane J. Kiepe
Douglas Eden
717 W. Sprague Ave.