[WSBAPT] Petition for Probate - CIR

James W. Spencer jamess at brothershenderson.com
Tue Oct 6 15:21:17 PDT 2020

Greetings Mike:

There is no statutory authority (or case law that I know of) that would give the surviving CIR partner any greater right to letters than “any suitable person” under 11.28.110(7).

Your reading of Witt is correct. Unless the CIR partner has an actual creditor claim against the decedent (beyond an equitable division of property after a finding of a CIR), they are not a creditor. The CIR claim is not properly brought as a creditor’s claim, but rather a petition for a finding of the CIR and an equitable division of property. The surviving partner’s share is not part of the decedent’s estate, so there is no creditor’s claim to be had for that equitable share.

Regarding a petition, I would simply explain the petitioner’s relationship to the decedent, and that none of the other persons entitled to letters petitioned for letters within the 40 day window. If you want to skip notice (so as not to get someone in a “superior” position trying to get letters instead), petition for the appointment without nonintervention powers, and then seek them later with proper notice.

My $.02.

Best wishes,
James

James W. Spencer
Attorney at Law
In an effort to help combat the spread of COVID-19, I am presently working remotely. Our office is running on significantly-reduced staff while this national emergency runs its course, and we are not presently taking any in-person meetings. During this time, please expect some delays in response time. Thank you for your patience during this difficult time.
Brothers & Henderson, P.S.
2722 Eastlake Avenue East, Suite 200
Seattle, Washington 98102
Phone: (206) 324-4300 x106