[WSBAPT] Joint Tenants with Rights of Survivorship

Inge Fordham inge at fordhamlegal.com
Mon Nov 30 18:55:30 PST 2020

Thanks again to everyone who responded!  Your comments were very helpful.

I sent a detailed email to the title company explaining the creation of the joint tenancy and outlining the language of the JTWROS statute, which allows for creation of joint tenancy through a deed expressing the intent of the grantor to create a joint tenancy (which we had).  I quoted the statute, which expressly allows for rebuttal of the TIC presumption by creating joint tenancy through a deed expressing intent to create a joint tenancy.  I also pointed to the lack of any requirement for a grantee to sign acknowledging the joint tenancy status.  This evening, we received word that the title company agreed to accept the joint tenancy status and requested that we record certified copies of the grandparents’ death certificates, which is no problem.

[uc%3fexport=download&id=1W3rEcChy0_E0cCfV5up02mkhwnL6eWIs&revid=0B4P5JoIHdbFaR29EbHlRWHFseFV5STZpSUVGeUNPWldkVDFVPQ]
Inge A. Fordham | Attorney
Fordham Law, PLLC
3218 Sixth Avenue | Tacoma, WA 98406
Office: (253) 348-2657 | Mobile: (206) 778-3131
www.fordhamlegal.com<http://www.fordhamlegal.com>

Confidential Communication: This email is sent to a recipient on behalf of an attorney/law firm, and is information intended exclusively for the individual, entity or company to which it is sent.  This communication may contain proprietary, privileged or confidential information or may otherwise be legally exempt from disclosure other than to the intended recipient.  If you are not the named addressee, you are not authorized to read, print, retain, copy or otherwise disseminate this message or any part of it.  If you have received this email in error, please notify the sender immediately by email or other communication and delete all copies of the message.