[WSBAPT] Date Needed for Testamentary Trust?

Joshua McKarcher josh at mckarcherlaw.com
Wed Nov 25 17:37:59 PST 2020

Definitely agreed, and don't see the harm in making this easy on everyone looking at the deed 10-20 years later. (We are often the ones trying to make sense of 30 year old deeds, remember.)

I reference the will date, because I want a person looking at it years later to know the will they "find" and refer to is the correct one, and the easiest/most sure way is by reference to the date on the will itself, not its date of probate, etc. The date of death can be found elsewhere if ever relevant (in the probate record, etc.). So here is what I just used recently after conferring with title company and county assessor, and I would use same on the Washington side of the river here, too:

. . . FIRST M. LAST, trustee, or his successor in interest, of the FIRST LAST TRUST created under the Last Will and Testament of First M. Last dated December 21, 2016, and admitted to probate by an order dated January 21, 2020 in Case No. CV35-19-2063 in the District Court of the Second Judicial District of the State of Idaho in and for the County of Nez Perce . . .

For obtaining EIN and naming bank accounts, I have no problem with simply FIRST LAST TRUST, but I also do a simple trust certification for the trustee to sign that recites the facts and makes it easy for everyone, even attaching excerpts of the will containing trust provisions as exhibit to certification if helpful to a bank or other third party we're doing business with.

Best, Josh

Joshua D. McKarcher
McKarcher Law PLLC
537 6th Street