[WSBAPT] charitable bequest

JOHN J SULLIVAN sullaw at comcast.net
Mon Nov 16 15:00:13 PST 2020

Tread carefully if the tax deduction is important to the client.

Make sure the bequests are enforceable under state law.

Also, make sure the PR has no discretion whether to make them or not, and that they are limited to bequests to qualified tax-exempt entities.

My default provision to avoid escheat, usually goes something like "If no heirs are then living, the PR shall distribute the remaining estate to one or more organizations of his or her choosing that are qualified under Section 2055(a) of the Internal Revenue Code of 1986 as amended (the "Code")."

Here's some info from Thomson-Reuters:

https://static.store.tax.thomsonreuters.com/static/samplePages/Sample_Checkpoint_TPH.pdf

Best regards,

John J. Sullivan mailto:dlyons at lyonslawoffices.com ,

Attorney

Lyons | Sullivan

10655 NE 4 th Street, Suite 704

Bellevue, WA  98004

425·451·2400 tel 425-451-7385 fax

http://www.dljslaw.com/

Confidentiality Notice

This email transmission is intended only for the addressee named above.  It contains information that is privileged, confidential, or otherwise protected from use and disclosure.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any review, disclosure, copying, or dissemination of this transmission or the taking of any action in reliance on its contents or other use is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this transmission in error, please destroy the original and notify us by telephone immediately.  Thank you for your cooperation