[WSBAPT] bank account taken upon death to pay for loan from bank

Heather de Vrieze heatherd at westseattlelaw.com
Tue May 12 10:29:02 PDT 2020

This is a reason that I often counsel clients not to maintain deposit accounts (or at least not significant dollar value ones) at the same institution where they have outstanding loans, especially some of our more well-known credit unions.

I had this happen once when mom and daughter were remodeling the home they shared and drawn funds on a line of credit to pay the contractors. On mom’s death they transferred the deposit account to pay down the line of credit, submitted a creditor claim for the rest of the LOC and the daughter was left with lots of unpaid contractors and no ability to pay.

Heather

Heather S. de Vrieze
Attorney-at-Law
[cid:image003.jpg at 01D62848.26E4E620]
3909 California Avenue SW
Seattle, WA 98116-3705
(206)938-5500
heatherd at westseattlelaw.com<mailto:heatherd at westseattlelaw.com>
www.westseattlelaw.com<http://www.westseattlelaw.com/>
Click here to connect with de Vrieze | Carney on Facebook:   [FB Logo] <https://www.facebook.com/DeVriezeCarney>

Our office is working to do our part to deal with the COVID-19 situation that is impacting us all.
We are NOT engaging in “in person” meetings for non-essential matters.
We are limiting the number of essential client appointments per day, and keeping essential appointments as short as possible, with all preliminary or follow-up discussions handled remotely.
We are ascribing by all distance, safety and sanitization recommendations for in person contact when it is necessary.
We are regularly sanitizing all “touch points” like doorknobs, light switches, thermostats, railings, chair arm rests, etcetera.
If I am sick, I will stay home, I ask you to do the same.

CONFIDENTIAL & PRIVILEGED. This e-mail message may contain legally privileged and/or confidential information.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this e-mail message and any attachment.